INVENTORY

  • The patina is crazt perfect!

  • The Auburn Motor Company was started in 1903 by Frank and Morris Eckhart of Auburn, Indiana. It was prosperous in the pre-War era, but after WWI sales began to dwindle. Errett Lobban Cord was brought in to resurrect the company, which he was able to do and kept it from entering bankruptcy during the 1920s. E.L. Cord had the unsold inventory of 1924 re-painted in stylish paint schemes and extra nickel plating. The following year he focused on styling while much of the market had their attention on engineering. This bet paid off for Cord, as sales increased 15% over 1924.

    The Great Depression of the early 1930s had many companies struggling to remain in business. For Cord, sales too had slowed. Gordon Buehrig was brought in to restyle the vehicles. He began by redesigning the front end, giving them a new grille and hood line. The new feature for the top-of-the-line Auburns in 1935 was a supercharger.

    The Model 653 was a stylish, durable and reasonably affordable vehicle. It was offered in three bodystyles including a Standard, Custom, and a Dual Ratio Salon. Power was from a six-cylinder engine that was capable of producing 85 horsepower. This power was sent to the rear wheels through a three-speed manual gearbox. The elegant and attractive bodies rested on a wheelbase that measured 120 inches.
    These cars are excellent examples of a brilliant marque that was one of the prominent builders of cars during the pre-WWII era.

  • Seats six passengers comfortably. Fold down factory windshield for those who need a bit of nutrition via bugs...